Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Moving Day

My father is coming to Buenos Aires for a month to stay with me and to work on his Spanish. The apartment that I had been renting for the last 6 weeks was totally unsuitable for 2 people, so yesterday I moved. Changing apartments was quite a stressful process. The fact that the water to my building was cut off 2 hours before I had to move making it impossible to clean the apartment (I washed the dishes with the water from ice cubes which I melted in the microwave) did not help either. Because I had not cleaned the apartment I was required to pay a 50 peso cleaning fee which meant that I no longer had enough money to pay the rent on the apartment that I was moving into. I had already maxed out my atm withdrawl limit for the day and changed every single American dollar that I possessed. Luckily, after standing in many Atm line ups I found a machine that would give me 50 pesos. It was day 20 of the dispute between the farmers and the government and the President, Christina Kirchner, was making a speech in the Plaza de Mayo. The streets were thronged with people and I waddled through the crowd carrying all my early belongings, which weighed considerably more than they did in my backpacking era just 6 weeks ago. I dropped off my bags at the language school and finished some last minute errands before going to my new apartment.

The new apartment is very nice. It is on the 10th floor and has a balcony (with not much of a view). It is the same size as my previous apartment but it uses the space much better. The kitchen and the television are not quite as nice but they are functional and have everything that I need. The best part of my new apartment is the location. It is 2 minutes walk from the movie theatre and less than 10 minutes to the language school.

Today, there were no classes at the language school because it is the 26th anniversary of Argentina´s war with the UK over the Falkland islands (here known as the Malvinas). I am taking the day to relax after yesterday´s running around and to wait for my dad´s arrival.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

At least you had a day "off" to recover from the moving that had been pretty stressful because of the water. The searching for good Buenos Aires Real Estate can be hard since there are many many apartments to see and there are a lot of difference betm hem. An apartment for 2 people that are not a couple should have 3 rooms.
Lindsay